
India, China have completed disengagement: Reports
India and China have disengaged in the Depsang and Demchok regions of Eastern Ladakh, keeping track of the timeline that was announced earlier.
Indian Army sources told NDTV that sweets will also be exchanged with troops from the Chinese side on the occasion of Diwali on Thursday.
Sources from the Indian Army told the news channel that the verification process is on and the modalities of patrolling will be decided by the ground commanders.
For over four years, the two countries were engaged in a military standoff along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) following the Galwan clash which took place in June 2020.
Last month, India and China reached a consensus and agreed to disengage along the border "in a coordinated and planned way".
Both the armies had agreed to withdraw from their positions to their respective positions on their sides and verify each others' positions after that.
Speaking on the agreement, Vikram Misry, the foreign secretary of India, had said as quoted by The Hindu, "Over the last several weeks, Indian and Chinese diplomatic and military negotiators have been in close contact with each other in a variety of forums, and as a result of these discussions, agreement has been arrived at on patrolling arrangements along the Line of Actual Control in the India-China border areas, leading to disengagement and a resolution of the issues that had arisen in these areas in 2020."
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning had said as quoted by India Today, "The China-India border situation is generally stable and under control."
Exuding confidence in achieving full resolution, India's External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar had said 75 percent of the issues in the region of dispute have been addressed.
Galwan Clash
The Galwan skirmish erupted from a dispute over a temporary bridge built by the Chinese in the Galwan River valley in Ladakh.
On June 15, 2020, Indian and Chinese troops engaged in a six-hour clash in the rugged terrain of Ladakh, engaging in hand-to-hand combat with makeshift weapons such as stones, batons, and iron rods.
The face-off occurred in near-complete darkness and freezing temperatures, leading to fatalities as soldiers fell or were pushed from ridges.
Twenty Indian soldiers were martyred in the clash, while China officially acknowledged four casualties, although reports indicate higher Chinese losses, as soldiers drowned in the choppy waters of the Galwan River.
Among the Indians, Colonel B Santosh Babu, the Commanding Officer of the 16th Bihar Regiment, was martyred during the unprovoked aggression by PLA troops.
The Galwan clashes highlighted China's aggressive stance towards its neighbouring countries.
Many observers on social media noted similarities between the Chinese attack on Philippine navy ships and the 2020 Galwan Valley clash.
Top Headlines
-
News
'Heard India will be dropping its tariffs substantially': Donald Trump ahead of announcing reciprocal tariff
April 01, 2025
-
News
Israel Defense Forces says senior Hezbollah official Hassan Ali Mahmoud Bdeir eliminated
April 01, 2025
-
News
Red Cross 'outraged' by deaths of eight medics in Gaza
March 31, 2025
-
News
More than 150 killed, hundreds injured as 6 earthquakes devastate Myanmar, tremors felt in Bangkok
March 28, 2025
-
News
'Now it's our turn': Vladimir Putin accepts Narendra Modi's invitation to visit India
March 27, 2025
-
News
Canada Polls: Khalistani critic Chandra Arya barred from running under Liberal Party's banner over alleged 'India' ties
March 26, 2025
-
News
Oscar-winning Palestinian filmmaker Hamdan Ballal attacked, arrested In West Bank, claims co-directors
March 25, 2025
-
News
'I have a very good relationship with India but they're one of the highest tariffing nations': Donald Trump
March 20, 2025
-
News
Donald Trump will back Volodymyr Zelenskyy get more air defence from Europe: White House
March 19, 2025
-
News
Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin discuss ways to end Ukraine war in a two-hour call
March 18, 2025