RG Kar: Junior doctors' overnight sit-in protests outside Swasthya Bhavan in Kolkata continues
Kolkata/IBNS: West Bengal junior doctors, who have been on ceasework for more than a month demanding justice for RG Kar rape-murder victim, continued their protests overnight outside state Health and Family Welfare office Swasthya Bhavan in Kolkata's Salt Lake area.
The junior doctors began their sit-in protest on Tuesday after they were denied an entry into Swasthya Bhavan to hand over deputation demanding resignation of some of the top officials.
On Tuesday evening, the health department shot an email to the junior doctors inviting them to participate in a meeting with a senior government representative.
The doctors rejected the proposal claiming it was "insulting" to them as the email came from the principal secretary of the state Health and Family Welfare department, who is one of those people whose resignation is among the demands by the protesters.
"The email has come from the health secretary and this is insulting to us," the protesting doctors said.
In the meantime, state junior health minister Chandrima Bhattacharya said Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee waited till 7:30 pm at the state secretariat Nabanna for a response from the students. Upon receiving no response, the Chief Minister, who Bhattacharya claimed was eager to schedule a meeting, left her office for home.
The junior doctors, who raised slogans throughout the night, on Tuesday refused to resume work by 5 pm, the deadline which was set by the Supreme Court.
The top court had said the government will be free to take action against the protesters post 5 pm on Tuesday.
Some of the senior doctors have claimed they are backing the juniors and they would respond appropriately if the government takes any action against the protesters.
The junior doctors are demanding the resignations of a few state health officials, Commissioner of Police Vineet Goyal, and justice for the victim.
The state's counsel, advocate Kapil Sibal had claimed during Monday's hearing that 23 patients have died due to the junior doctors' ceasework.
In the previous hearing held last month, the CJI had urged the junior doctors to resume work restraining the government from any action against them.
(Images by Avishek Mitra/IBNS)
Top Headlines
-
News
'Heard India will be dropping its tariffs substantially': Donald Trump ahead of announcing reciprocal tariff
April 01, 2025
-
News
Israel Defense Forces says senior Hezbollah official Hassan Ali Mahmoud Bdeir eliminated
April 01, 2025
-
News
Red Cross 'outraged' by deaths of eight medics in Gaza
March 31, 2025
-
News
More than 150 killed, hundreds injured as 6 earthquakes devastate Myanmar, tremors felt in Bangkok
March 28, 2025
-
News
'Now it's our turn': Vladimir Putin accepts Narendra Modi's invitation to visit India
March 27, 2025
-
News
Canada Polls: Khalistani critic Chandra Arya barred from running under Liberal Party's banner over alleged 'India' ties
March 26, 2025
-
News
Oscar-winning Palestinian filmmaker Hamdan Ballal attacked, arrested In West Bank, claims co-directors
March 25, 2025
-
News
'I have a very good relationship with India but they're one of the highest tariffing nations': Donald Trump
March 20, 2025
-
News
Donald Trump will back Volodymyr Zelenskyy get more air defence from Europe: White House
March 19, 2025
-
News
Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin discuss ways to end Ukraine war in a two-hour call
March 18, 2025