UGC rejects DU's new proposal
New Delhi, June 27 (IBNS) The University Grants Commission (UGC) on Friday rejected a new proposal sent by the Delhi University (DU) where the latter said it wants the three-year course be implemented in such a manner that an honours degree will be given on its completion.
Instead, the UGC asked the DU to start the admissions to the 3-year-course on Friday itself.
The DU on Thursday sent a proposal to the UGC where an honours will be given in three years and the last year will be kept for research.
"If the University Grants Commission agrees to this proposal, then we won't need a lot of time to implement it and begin admissions," DU PRO Malay Neerav told reporters.
"The UGC has been writing letters to us asking us to go back to the three-year course and now we have said that it will take a lot of time if these courses have to be converted to three years," he said.
The DU did not start its admission process for the third consecutive day on Thursday despite UGC directive.
"The University Grants Commission had issued a fresh ultimatum asking DU to begin the admission process under the 3-year course from Thursday. But DU is silent so far," reported CNN-IBN.
The admission process was scheduled to start from June 24.
The Delhi High Court on Wednesday refused to give an urgent hearing to two cross petitions over the Four Year Undergraduate Programme (FYUP) row.
A vacation bench of justices Pratibha Rani and V Kameswar Rao said, "The matter requires effective hearing which can't be done by a vacation bench. It will be heard by the roster bench in July."
"We understand the situation. The admissions will not be affected. There will only be a few days' delay," the bench said.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to intervene into the FYUP row and directed the Delhi High Court to take up the case.
Former DU Teachers Association president Aditya Narayan Mishra had approached the apex court against the UGC order on scrapping the FYUP.
Meanwhile, shortly after the SC order, DU Vice Chancellor (VC) Dinesh Singh resigned from his post over the issue.
DU teachers, favouring the FYUP, on Tuesday held a hunger strike as a mark of protest against the UGC and the Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry over the issue.
The UGC on June 22 directed the Delhi University and all colleges under it to admit students only under the three-year programme and not under FYUP.
The UGC also warned the institutions of facing 'consequences' if its directions are not followed by them.
According to the reports, the DU has refused to scrap the programme.
Top Headlines
-
News
'Heard India will be dropping its tariffs substantially': Donald Trump ahead of announcing reciprocal tariff
April 01, 2025
-
News
Israel Defense Forces says senior Hezbollah official Hassan Ali Mahmoud Bdeir eliminated
April 01, 2025
-
News
Red Cross 'outraged' by deaths of eight medics in Gaza
March 31, 2025
-
News
More than 150 killed, hundreds injured as 6 earthquakes devastate Myanmar, tremors felt in Bangkok
March 28, 2025
-
News
'Now it's our turn': Vladimir Putin accepts Narendra Modi's invitation to visit India
March 27, 2025
-
News
Canada Polls: Khalistani critic Chandra Arya barred from running under Liberal Party's banner over alleged 'India' ties
March 26, 2025
-
News
Oscar-winning Palestinian filmmaker Hamdan Ballal attacked, arrested In West Bank, claims co-directors
March 25, 2025
-
News
'I have a very good relationship with India but they're one of the highest tariffing nations': Donald Trump
March 20, 2025
-
News
Donald Trump will back Volodymyr Zelenskyy get more air defence from Europe: White House
March 19, 2025
-
News
Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin discuss ways to end Ukraine war in a two-hour call
March 18, 2025